PDA

View Full Version : McCall 4060

sewingmel
06-20-2009, 09:49 AM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
McCall Pattern Name/Number
4060 Pattern Description
Ladies' and Misses' Slip-On Dress-August 16, 1921 Which view and size did you make?
View B, size 18 with larger hip alteration Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes If not, why?
- Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes If not, why?
The instructions given were easy to follow. The pattern left out of some hand-holding sewing steps that we are used to in modern patterns. I was suprised by the detail of finishing techniques given in the pattern. The pattern was designed with the idea that you would play around with different finishes so the pattern did not tell you exactly how to do the final details. It left that up to you!

Side notes- This is a "new" McCall printed pattern. The pattern is on a kind of carbon printed tissue, and the instructions are also on a tissue sheet. The seam allowance is 3/8" so I kept having to remind myself of that. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This is just pure 20's style! The pleats were a pain to fit into the insets, but they look so pretty finished. Fabric used
Sea-foam green linen/rayon blend Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
The pattern provides an adjustment for larger hips, and I used that method. It worked perfectly! I did shorten the dress. The envelope has the pattern hitting just above the knee. I had to chop off 6 inches to get anywhere close to that length, and I am almost 5'8" tall! Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
Yes Any additional comments
Inspired by the dress, I ended up handsewing the under binding on the sleeves, the hems, and the facings. I don't like to handsew, but it really added to the look of the dress.

Unless I end up selling this pattern, I don't think anyone can find this pattern. It is a lovely, well-drafted pattern, and I am so happy that I sewed it up!