PDA

View Full Version : Built By Wendy Button Down Shirt

SynEpona
06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
PatternsPattern Manufacturer
Built by Wendy Pattern Name/Number
SewU-Built By Wendy:ButtonDownShir t Pattern Description
Basic pattern for a button down collared shirt with many ideas and variations. Which view and size did you make?
Short sleeve tunic, size XSm Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
No If not, why?
There are not clear illustrations for each variation, and I also made several modifications beyond the suggestions and sketches provided. Were the instructions easy to follow?
No If not, why?
Although this time I made a short sleeve shirt, part of the reason was that the long sleeve cuff placket instructions were complex and didn't make sense the last time I made a long sleeve version.

Over all, the construction was simpler if I ignored the provided directions and worked from experience, instinct and my other sewing reference books. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that the various modifications are explained, so there is little guess work.

I do not like the format of the instructions, it seems that steps are missing or in the wrong order. I also did not see in the book yardage requirements for each item. Fabric used
Light Weight Cotton Gingham Pattern alterations or any design changes you made or would recommend
I lengthened the basic pattern to tunic length, added a bit of a pleat on the top of the sleeve and a sash/tied belt. Would you sew this pattern again?
Yes Would you recommend this pattern to others?
No Any additional comments
I'm sure there are better (easier) shirt patterns available, but since I've done this one twice and it's traced, I'll likely make it again - with out looking at the instructions!